zurück zur Hauptseite
Research on Climate Change Impacts and other long term drivers on agriculture in Africa
Our research line on Africa focuses on the interaction between economic development and resources, with a long-term perspective. It characterized by an inter-disciplinary character and applies a wide range of different methodological approaches, including economic modelling and institutional analysis.
One focus is on water use and institutions governing access to water, where we develop and apply hydro-economic river basin models. Furthermore, we apply equilibrium models and have recently added Agent Based Modelling to our research portfolio.
- RCR (Resilience, Collapse and Reorganisation in Social-Ecological Systems of East- and South Africa's Savannahs, DFG Research Unit [Forschergruppe] FOR 1501, 2010-2016, PIs Thomas Heckelei and Karin Holm-Müller)
- Globe Wetlands in East Africa (Wetlands in East Africa: Reconciling future food production with environmental protection, 1st project phase 2013-2016, BMFT, PI Thomas Heckelei)
- BiomassWeb (1st project phase 2013-2016, BMFT, PIs Thomas Heckelei and Karin Holm-Müller).
IMPETUS project (1999-2009), BMFT, with the finalized dissertation projects by Claudia Heidecke on Economic analysis of water use and management in the Middle Drâa valley in Morocco and by Ina Gruber on The impact of socio-economic development and climate change on livestock management in Benin
Rasch, S., Heckelei, T., Oomen, R., Naumann, C. (2015): Cooperation and collapse in a communal livestock production SES model – A case from South Africa , Environmental Modelling & Software (in press) , Link.
Kuhn, A., Britz, W., Willy, D. K., van Oel, P. (2014): Simulating the viability of water institutions under volatile rainfall conditions – The case of the Lake Naivasha Basin , Environmental Modelling & Software (in press) , Link.
Britz, W., Ferris, M., Kuhn, A. (2013): Modeling water allocating institutions based on Multiple Optimization Problems with Equilibrium Constraints , Environmental Modelling & Software 46: 196–207 , Link.
Kuhn, A., Britz, W. (2012): Can hydro-economic river basin models simulate water shadow prices under asymmetric access? , Water Science & Technology 66(4): 879–886 , Link.
Storm, H., Heckelei, T., Heidecke, C. (2011): Estimating Irrigation Water Demand in the Moroccan Drâa Valley using Contingent Valuation , Journal of Environmental Management 92(10): 2803-2809 , Link.
Gaiser, T., Judex, M., Hiepe, C., Kuhn, A. (2010): Regional simulation of maize production in tropical savanna fallow systems as affected by fallow availability, Agricultural Systems 103(9): 656-665 , Link.
Kuhn, A., Gaiser, T., Gandonou, E. (2010): Simulating the effects of tax exemptions on fertiliser use in Benin by linking biophysical and economic models, Agricultural Systems 103(8): 509-520 , Link.
Heidecke, C., Heckelei, T. (2010): Impacts of changing water inflow distributions on irrigation and farm income along the Drâa River in Morocco, Agricultural Economics 41(2): 135 - 149 , Link.
Gruber, I., Kloos, J., Schopp, M. (2009): Seasonal water demand in Benin’s agriculture , Journal of Environmental Management 90(1): 196-205 , Link.
Heidecke, C., Kuhn, A., Klose, S. (2008): Water Pricing Options in the Middle Drâa valley. In: African Journal of Agricultural and sources Economics, African Journal of Agricultural and Resources Economics 2(2): 170-180 , Link.
Heidecke, C., Kuhn, A. (2006): Simulating groundwater charges for the Moroccan Drâa River Basin , Agricultural and Marine Science 11(1): 47-54.
M`barek, R., Behle, C., Mulindabigwi, V., Schopp, M., Singer, U. (2005): Sustainable resource management in Benin embedded in the process of decentralisation. , Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 30(6/7).
Last updated: Thursday, January 05, 2017
- Economic Valuation of an Urban Lake Recreational Park: Case of Taman Tasik Cempaka in Bandar Baru Bangi, Malaysia Othman, J., Jafari, Y. (2019): Sustainability 11 (11)(3023): 15 pages.Heterogeneous impacts of neighbouring farm size on the decision to exit: evidence from Brittany Saint-Cyr, L. D. F., Storm, H., Heckelei, T., Piet, L. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics: Volume 46(2):237-266.Heterogeneous impacts of neighbouring farm size on the decision to exit: evidence from Brittany Saint-Cyr, L. D. F., Storm, H., Heckelei, T., Piet, L. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics: Volume 46(2):237-266.Conventionalization of Organic Farms in Germany: An Empirical Investigation Based on a Composite Indicator Approach Seidel, C., Heckelei, T., Lakner, S. (2019): Sustainability 11(10): 16 pages.The price of sanctions: An empirical analysis of German export losses due to the Russian agricultural ban Fedoseeva, S., Herrmann, R. (2019): Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics: 15 pages.
- The impacts to food consumers of a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Jafari, Y., Britz, W., Beckman, J. (2019): Bio-based and Appplied Economics 7(2).Coffee value chains on the move: Evidence in Ethiopia Minten, B., Dereje, M., Engida, E., Kuma, T. (2019): Evidence in Ethiopia, Food Policy 83: 370-383.Agricultural non-CO2 emission reduction potential in the context of the 1.5 °C target Frank, S., Havlik, P., Stehfest, E., van Meijl, H., Witzke, H.-P., Pèrez Dominguez, I., van Dijk, M., Doelman, J. C., Fellmann, T., Koopman, J. F. L., Tabeau, A., Valin, H. (2019): Nature Climate Change 9: 66-72.Effect of mineral fertilizer on rain water and radiation use efficiencies for maize yield and stover biomass productivity in Ethiopia Srivastava, A. K., Mboh, C. M., Gaiser, T., Kuhn, A., Engida, E., Ewert, F. (2019): Agricultural Systems 168: 88-100.Assessing Sustainable Food and Nutrition Security of the EU Food System—An Integrated Approach Zurek, M., Hebinck, A., Leip, A., Vervoort, J., Kuiper, M., Garrone, M., Havlik, P., Heckelei, T., Hornborg, S., Ingram, J. S., Kuijsten, A., Shutes, L., Geleijnse, J. M., Terluin, I., van´t Veer, P., Wijnands, J., Zimmermann, A., Achterbosch, T. (2018): Sustainability 10(11)(4271): pp. 1-16.Explaining farm structural change in the European agriculture: a novel analytical framework Neuenfeldt, S., Gocht, A., Heckelei, T., Ciaian, P. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics jby037: pp. 1-56.