zurück zur Hauptseite
Research on dairy
It encompasses the application of econometric estimators and economic simulation models, while being closely related to our research line on structural change and dynamic adjustments in agriculture.
- Three projects funded by the German science foundation (DFG):
- Understanding spatial interactions and structural change in the dairy production chain with a dynamic regional Agent Based Model covering dairy farms and dairy processing (2015-2018, applying an Agent Based Model of structural change, PIs Wolfgang Britz and Thomas Heckelei)
- Analysis of dairy production systems differentiated by location (2012-2015, PIs Christine Wieck and Thomas Heckelei)
- The relation between indicators for the crediting of emission rights and abatement costs - a systematic modelling approach for dairy farms (2011-2015, PIs Karin Holm-Müller and Wolfgang Britz), in co-operation with the Chair of Resource and Environmental Economics, completed dissertation by Bernd Lengers on The relation between indicators for the crediting of emission rights and abatement costs
- A dissertation by Yvonne Zavelberg focusing on the competition in the dairy processing sector
- Spatial competition in the dairy sector, common work between Christine Wieck and visiting scientist Claire Mosnier from INRA, UR1213 Herbivore, Clermant-Ferrand during 2010-2011
- Article about comparison of regional dynamics across selected regions by C. Mosnier and C. Wieck
Organized Session at EAAE Congress 2011 on "Spatial competition in the dairy sector" with two ILR contributions:
- Discussion paper on "Determinants of spatial dynamics of dairy production: a review" by C. Mosnier and C. Wieck
- Analysis of milk quota reform scenarios by Markus Kempen and Peter Witzke (2007-2010)
- Dissertation project of Christine Wieck on determinants, differentiation and development of marginal costs (finalized 2005).
- Medium-term analysis of the prospects of the Spanish dairy sector after Agenda 2000 and Mid-Term Review by C. Wieck, I. Perez Dominguez and W. Britz (2003)
- Improvement of the representation of the dairy sector in the CAPRI model by C.Wieck and W. Britz (2002-2003)
Lengers, B., Britz, W., Holm-Müller, K. (2014): What drives marginal abatement costs of greenhouse gases on dairy farms? A meta-modelling approach, Journal of Agricultural Economics 65(2) , Link.
Lengers, B., Britz, W., Holm-Müller, K. (2013): Comparison of GHG-Emission Indicators for Dairy Farms with Respect to Induced Abatement Costs, Accuracy and Feasibility. , Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 35(3): 451-475 , Link.
Lengers, B., Britz, W. (2012): The choice of emission indicators in environmental policy design: an analysis of GHG abatement in different dairy farms based on a bio-economic model approach , Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies 93(2): 117-144 , Link.
Wieck, C., Mosnier, C. (2012): Dynamiques régionales de la production laitière France - Allemagne – Royaume-Uni , Économie rurale 332: 132-146 , Link.
Kempen, M., Witzke, H.-P., Pèrez Dominguez, I., Jansson, T., Sckokai, P. (2011): Economic and environmental impacts of milk quota reform in Europe , Journal of Policy Modeling 33(1): 29-52 , Link.
Wieck, C., Holland, D. W. (2010): The economic effect of the Canadian BSE outbreak on the U.S. economy, Applied Economics 42(8): 935-946 , Link.
Witzke, H.-P. (2009): Milk quota expiry impacts and sensitivity analyses using the CAPSIM model , Agrarwirtschaft 58(5/6): 228-237.
Wieck, C., Heckelei, T. (2007): Determinants, Differentiation, and Development of Short-term Marginal Costs in Dairy production: An Empirical Analysis for Selected Regions of the EU , Agricultural Economics 36(2): 203-220 , Link.
Conference contributions, reports
Britz, W., Wieck, C. (2014): Analyzing structural change in dairy farming based on an Agent Based Model Download.
Zavelberg, Y., Wieck, C., Heckelei, T. (2013): Entry deterring effects of contractual relations in the dairy processing sector , Poster presented at the 53. Jahrestagung der GEWISOLA (German Ag. Econ. Society), September 25 - 27, 2013, Berlin (Germany).
Wieck, C., Mosnier, C. (2011): Determinants of the spatial structure of regional production system , selected paper presented at the European Association of Agricultural Economics Conference 2011, August 30th - September 2nd, 2011, Zurich (Switzerland).
Last updated: Tuesday, January 10, 2017
- The impacts to food consumers of a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Jafari, Y., Britz, W., Beckman, J. (2019): Bio-based and Appplied Economics 7(2).Coffee value chains on the move: Evidence in Ethiopia Minten, B., Dereje, M., Engida, E., Kuma, T. (2019): Evidence in Ethiopia, Food Policy 83: 370-383.Agricultural non-CO2 emission reduction potential in the context of the 1.5 °C target Frank, S., Havlik, P., Stehfest, E., van Meijl, H., Witzke, H.-P., Pèrez Dominguez, I., van Dijk, M., Doelman, J. C., Fellmann, T., Koopman, J. F. L., Tabeau, A., Valin, H. (2019): Nature Climate Change 9: 66-72.Effect of mineral fertilizer on rain water and radiation use efficiencies for maize yield and stover biomass productivity in Ethiopia Srivastava, A. K., Mboh, C. M., Gaiser, T., Kuhn, A., Engida, E., Ewert, F. (2019): Agricultural Systems 168: 88-100.Assessing Sustainable Food and Nutrition Security of the EU Food System—An Integrated Approach Zurek, M., Hebinck, A., Leip, A., Vervoort, J., Kuiper, M., Garrone, M., Havlik, P., Heckelei, T., Hornborg, S., Ingram, J. S., Kuijsten, A., Shutes, L., Geleijnse, J. M., Terluin, I., van´t Veer, P., Wijnands, J., Zimmermann, A., Achterbosch, T. (2018): Sustainability 10(11)(4271): pp. 1-16.Explaining farm structural change in the European agriculture: a novel analytical framework Neuenfeldt, S., Gocht, A., Heckelei, T., Ciaian, P. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics jby037: pp. 1-56.Brexit: an economy-wide impact assessment on trade, immigration, and foreign direct investment Jafari, Y., Britz, W. (2018): Empirica: 1-36.Heterogeneous impacts of neighbouring farm size on the decision to exit: evidence from Brittany Saint-Cyr, L. D. F., Storm, H., Heckelei, T., Piet, L. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics jby029: pp. 1-30.Risk of increased food insecurity under stringent global climate change mitigation policy Hasegawa, T., Fujimori, S., Havlik, P., Valin, H., Bodirsky, B. L., Doelman, J. C., Fellmann, T., Kyle, P., Koopman, J. F. L., Lotze-Campen, H., Mason-D Croz, D., Ochi, Y., Pèrez Dominguez, I., Stehfest, E., Sulser, T. B., Tabeau, A., Takahashi, K., Takakura, J. y., van Meijl, H., van Zeist, W.-J., Wiebe, K., Witzke, H.-P. (2018):
Risk of increased food insecurity under stringent global climate change mitigation policy, Nature Climate Change 8: 699-703.Does the current trade liberalization agenda contribute to greenhouse gas emission mitigation in agriculture? Himics, M., Fellmann, T., Barreiro-Hurle, J., Witzke, H.-P., Perez Dominguez, I., Jansson, T., Weiss, F.(2018):
"Does the current trade liberalization agenda contribute to greenhouse gas emission mitigation in agriculture?", Food Policy article in pressMajor challenges of integrating agriculture into climate change mitigation policy frameworks Fellmann, T., Witzke, H.-P., Weiss, F., van Doorslaer, B., Dusan, D., Huck, I., Salputra, G., Jansson, T., Leip, A. (2018):
"Major challenges of integrating agriculture into climate change mitigation policy frameworks", Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 23(3), pp 451-468Metrics, models and foresight for European sustainable food and nutrition security: The vision of the SUSFANS project Rutten, M., Achterbosch, T., de Boer, I., Crespo Cuaresma, J., Geleijnse, M., Havlik, P., Heckelei, T., Ingram, J. S., Leip, A., Marette, S., van Meijl, H., Soler, L. -G., Swinnen, J. F., van't Veer, P., Vervoort, J., Zimmermann, A., Zimmermann, K. and Zurek, M. (2018):
"Metrics, models and foresight for European sustainable food and nutrition security: The vision of the SUSFANS project", Agricultural Systems 163, pp.45-57